The Reporter At-Large and Turiya Foundation are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy (together with our Website Terms and Conditions and any other documents referred to on it) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the Information Technology Act, 2000 (the Act), the data controller is Turiya Foundation, a public trust (registration number: 190301322/2018) at Arunalaya, Hakimpara, Jalpaiguri – 735101, West Bengal, India.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you:
• Contact Data: This is information such as your name, email address and telephone number which we collect when you contact us by email, use our services, including news, resources, pictures, media training or which we collect via our interaction with you (for example from business cards).
• Profile Data: This is information such as the organisation you work for, your job title and role, the country you are based in and your area of expertise which we collect when you sign-up or apply to use any of our Services.
• Application Information: This is information such as your country of citizenship, past and present employment details, home address and contact details and education history, which we collect when you apply to attend our media training courses.
• Information that you provide by filling in forms on our sites reporteratlarge.org and turiyafoundation.com (our Sites). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Sites, subscribing to any of our Services, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Sites.
• If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
• We may also ask you to complete feedback questionnaires or surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
• Details of the Services that you use on our Sites.
• Details of your visits to our Sites including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data and the resources that you access.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our Sites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Sites; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
• Administration: We may use the personal information we collect about you to contact you in response to your queries and to provide you with the Services you have subscribed to. For example, newsletters or news alerts or brokering contacts through Reporter At-Large and Turiya Foundation.
• Consider Applications: We may use the personal information we collect about you to consider your submissions on Reporter At-Large and Turiya Foundation or your application to attend our courses.
• Communications: We may use personal information we collect about you to contact you by e-mail, post or telephone with information about Reporter At-Large and Turiya Foundation and events that might be of interest to you. You can opt out of receiving these communications at any point by contacting email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Internal statistical analysis: We may use the personal information we collect about you to facilitate internal statistical analysis, for example to determine the number of people using a particular service from a specific country or region. We have a policy of anonymising the information where possible.
• Optimisation: To ensure that news and content from our Sites are presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
• To carry out our obligations to perform the Services or arising from any contracts entered into between you and us or to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
• To notify you about changes to our Services.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in Section 43 and 69 of the IT Act.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
• In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
• If Reporter At-Large and Turiya Foundation or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
• If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Website Terms and Conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety ofReporter At-Large and Turiya Foundation, our partners, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
• When explicitly agreed by you as part of our Services. For example, when you enrol in any journalism or media training we ask you whether you would like to share your name and contact details with other alumni; or when sharing information as appropriate and necessary when we put a lawyer and non-governmental organisation in contact to work on a pro bono case.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
You may contact us to access the personal information you provide to us and ask us to update, correct, or delete it from our databases.
In case of any questions regarding our privacy practices, if you would like to execute your rights or would like to submit a complaint please contact email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
• Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
• Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
• Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
• Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the content displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.